The Application for Educational Benefits form is a form that all families with children enrolled in Minneapolis Public Schools MUST fill out every year.
Application for Educational Benefits: A Comprehensive Training Video
answers to questions families might ask:
To view each answer, click on the questions below:
+ Why should I fill out the Application for Education Benefits?
Completing this form has a significant impact on Minneapolis Public Schools. It will assist your student, family, school, and district in receiving benefits. Benefits for schools include school funding, so by completing the application you are helping to ensure every school in MPS gets all the funding it deserves. Student and family benefits may include free or discounted fees for cable and internet providers, no-cost meals and snacks, reduced athletic, transportation, and testing fees, etc.
+ How much funding does Minneapolis Public Schools receive when families complete the form?
Nearly $100 million in Education Benefits for MPS is generated each year from the application.
+ What are the ways funds can be used by schools if I complete the application?
Funding determined by the application can be used for the following:
- Family Engagement CPEO – Connecting Parents to Educational Opportunities
- Early Childhood, Hi-5, Pre-School
- Professional Development
- Direct Instructional Services
- Remedial Instruction Services: Reading, language arts, mathematics, study skills
- Additional teachers and teacher aides
- Lower instructor to learner ratios
- Out of School Time Programming
- Instructional Materials, Digital Learning
- Truancy Reduction Programs
- Bilingual and Bicultural Programs
- All Day Kindergarten
+ Do I need to complete an application each year?
Yes. Each year, all families of enrolled students are asked to complete the application. Eligibility from a previous year expires 30 days after the new school year begins.
+ Can I complete the form online?
YES! Online applications are encouraged since they are often simpler for families and your school. They can be completed at www.schoolcafe.com. Instructions to complete the online form can be found on the MPS Nutrition Services page.
+ Where can I get a paper application?
Applications are mailed to every enrolled student the first week of August. Additional applications are available in English, Spanish, Somali, and Hmong. Please contact Hashep Seka, CWS Information Assistant, at Hashep.Seka@mpls.k12.mn.us or 612-668-2865 to request additional forms. Schools may request as many additional applications as needed for your school.
+ What information do I need to complete the application?
- Names, birthdates, grades, and schools of all MPS enrolled students
- Assistance program (SNAP, MFIP, FDPIR) case number (if applicable)
NOTE – Medical Assistance does not apply
- Names of all remaining household members (if not receiving benefits from an assistance program), including all adults and any non-MPS student children. Those that may be too young to attend school and those attending in a different district should all be included here.
- All regular, gross income (before taxes and deductions) for family members
- Frequency of income for family members Signature of adult completing the for
- Signature of adult completing the form
With the SchoolCafé app, parents can manage their child's cafeteria account on a mobile phone.