In this course, teachers have fun learning highly interactive strategies to cross-train the brain and dramatically raise achievement by practicing reading and math skills through singing, playing games, and applying research-based Affirming Parallel Concepts (APC). The strategies work with existing curricula and help to create a classroom climate that engages students and keeps them open to learning while raising achievement. Participants receive individual and group vocal coaching so they become confident singing and playing singing games. They create and teach lessons to each other, and share videotapes of their own students engaged in APC lessons, while receiving and providing peer coaching. Participants create an action research project using the question, “What effect does daily singing and Affirming Parallel Concepts have on __?” (a skill of their choice, such as letter sound acquisition, fluency, sight word identification, or multiplication retention). In addition, each participant receives coaching calls from an instructor as they develop research methods for their project. Teachers administer a pre-test to their students, use APC strategies for at least three months, mid- and post-test, analyze the data, and write an Action Research Report.
*Requirements for Course Completion: Attend every class. Create four 10-minute APC lessons, and share two of them in class. Videotape students. Peer coach. Complete an action research project and implement it with students. Write a report that meets ProPay guidelines. **
- Learn alternative strategies to cross-train the brain by practicing math and reading skills through singing and playing singing games.
- Apply strategies with own students.
- Create lessons using Affirming Parallel Concepts among reading, math and music.
- Experience how singing and singing games help create a highly interactive, joyful and cooperative learning environment.
- Gain confidence in singing and playing singing games.
- Develop an action research project and implement it with students.
- Videotape students and provide peer coaching.
All licensed staff Pre K–5th grade (site teams are encouraged to enroll together)
Class Dates, Times and Locations
- Tuesday, September 11th, 2018 — 4:45 - 7:45 PM @ Davis, L3-319
- Tuesday, September 25th, 2018 — 4:45 - 7:45 PM @ Davis, L3-319
- Tuesday, October 9th, 2018 — 4:45 - 7:45 PM @ Davis, L3-319
- Tuesday, October 23rd, 2018 — 4:45 - 7:45 PM @ Davis, L3-319
- Tuesday, November 6th, 2018 — 4:45 - 7:45 PM @ Davis, L3-319
- Tuesday, November 20th, 2018 — 4:45 - 7:45 PM @ Davis, L3-319
- Tuesday, December 4th, 2018 — 4:45 - 7:45 PM @ Davis, L3-319
- Tuesday, December 11th, 2018 — 4:45 - 7:45 PM @ Davis, L3-319
Register for the training on eCompass. Search course #92423 and section #112405.
- Ann Kay
- Elizabeth Olson