This course is designed to support School Social Workers (SSWs) as they intervene more intentionally and effectively with students and families who are homeless. The course focuses on changing the professional practice of the SSWs and implementing structural changes in the schools. Individual coaching will be provided as a component of the course to work with individual SSWs to adapt the intervention strategies to their specific building.
- Increase the understanding of the emotional, psychological, physical, and social impact of homelessness on students
- Increase awareness and understanding of the dynamics of students who are homeless
- Increase school engagement of students who are homeless
- Increase skills of working with students who are homeless
- Introduce a paradigm shift of how to understand homelessness
- Identify particular needs of students who are homeless to aid teachers in the development of instructional strategies
- Learn additional strategies to work with students who are homeless
- Develop strategies to engage students who are homeless
- Educate the staff on McKinney-Vento Act and its implication for practice in Minneapolis Public Schools
School Social Workers
Register for the training on eCompass. Search course #91599 and section #112406.