Literacy and Critical Thinking with will focus on the use of research based literacy and critical thinking strategies during engineering instruction. Participants will assess how engineering can be integrated into their curriculum and how literacy and critical thinking skills are crucial to success for students working on an engineering design challenge. Participants will leave the course with an understanding of research-based strategies to incorporate literacy and critical thinking into engineering curriculum. These strategies can be used to construct relevant lessons that help students build 21st century skills in authentic contexts. The work is designed so that participants will learn the strategies in a collaborative atmosphere, have time to work with colleagues, and then continue to implement these strategies in the future at their respective work sites.
- Complete engineering design challenges using effective reading, writing, and critical thinking strategies from a learner lens.
- Complete verbal and written reflections on learning experiences to assess how strategies can be brought to their own classrooms.
- Use protocols to evaluate student work.
- Read and respond to relevant articles.
- Assess existing curriculum to create cross-curricular engineering and literacy opportunities for students.
- Attend each session and participate with colleagues to learn new skills, design integrated engineering and literacy lessons, and plan an action research project.
Class Dates, Times and Locations
- Monday, August 6th, 2018 - 9:00 AM -3:00 PM @ Davis, N1-052
- Tuesday, August 7th, 2018 - 9:00 AM -3:00 PM @ Davis, N1-052
- Wednesday, August 8th, 2018 - 9:00 AM -3:00 PM @ Davis, L3-319
- Thursday, August 9th, 2018 - 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM @ Davis, S1-435 (may change)
- Friday, August 10th, 2018 - 9:00-11:00 AM @ Davis, L3-319
- Two 2 hour sessions in the fall TBD
Register for the training on eCompass. Search course #92423 and section #112413.
- Erin Clarke, Science Teacher, Marcy Open School
- Kate Gant, Teacher, Lyndale Elementary