This course will introduce the Educational Model of Mental Health created by Anne Gearity. While there are accepted medical models of mental health, there is still little agreement and acceptance on how to support mental health WITHIN schools BY the school staff. Using the proposed model, the course will look at the presence and prevalence of childhood and adolescent mental health in students, and ways in which school staff can be most effective in supporting positive engagement and improved educational outcomes for those students. Strategies on how to best meet student needs, support teacher effort, and the creation of school procedures will be discussed.
- Understand the role of mental health in schools and Anne Gearity’s, PhD, Educational Model for Mental Health.
- Understand how social workers and school psychologists and teacher peers can support the development and implementation of a continuum of mental health services in the educational setting.
- Increase their knowledge of effective consultation and collaboration in order to help guide and work with school staff when interpreting, responding to, understanding behavior in order to help students get back to learning.
School Social Workers, School Psychologists, Special Education Teachers, Other Educational Professionals in a Consulting Role
Class Dates, Times and Locations
- Tuesday, October 30th, 2018 – 4:30-7:00 PM @ Davis N1-051
- Tuesday, November 13th, 2018 – 4:30-7:00 PM @ Davis N1-052
- Tuesday, November 27th, 2018 – 4:30-7:00 PM @ Davis N1-051
- Tuesday, December 11th, 2018 – 4:30-7:00 PM @ Davis N1-051
- Tuesday, January 15th, 2019 – 4:30-7:00 PM @ Davis N1-051
- Tuesday, January 29th, 2019 - 4:30-7:00 PM @ Davis N1-051
- Tuesday, February 12th, 2019 – 4:30-7:00 PM @ Davis N1-052
- Tuesday, February 26th, 2019 – 4:30-7:00 PM @ Davis N1-052
- Tuesday, March 12th, 2019 – Davis – 4:30-7:00 PM @ N1-052
- Tuesday, March 26th, 2019 – 4:30-7:00 PM @ Davis N1-052
Register for the training on eCompass. Search course #92423 and section #112407.
- Jessica Anderson, PsyS, NCSP
- Kelly Arrington, MSW, LICSW