Coaching is partnering with students, colleagues, and families in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and academic potential. This model of coaching develops a Growth mindset (Dr. Carol Dweck), Shame Resiliency (Dr. Brene Brown) and is based on the International Coach Federation’s Core Coaching Competencies. This strengths-based approach to coaching is culturally and linguistically responsive and based on the belief that the coachee is naturally creative, resourceful and whole. Coaching amplifies student, teacher and family voice by acknowledging the coachee as the expert on themselves. It also provides a language for educators to learn how to empower stidents, colleagues or families as opposed to continuing to tell them what to do. In this course, participants will hone their coaching skills which will lead to increased academic and social emotional outcomes in school and in life. Transformational Leadership and Academic Coaching can be used by all, in any way and at any time. It is highly flexible and fits into any situation, as a formal intervention, through RtI, through Laser Coaching Sessions, or in everyday classroom management.
Participants will be able to:
- Use core coaching competencies and research based practices to empower students to maximize their potential
- Implement coaching with targeted students based on a sustainability plan written after the third day of class
- Collect quantitative and qualitative data and reflect on the impact of coaching on student success
- Collaborate with participants in their cohort to share successes, challenges and ideas for integration in their professional practice.
Teachers, instructional coaches, counselors, social workers, school psychologists, behavior specialists, school nurses, academic deans, and other licensed staff who want to improve their coaching skills with students, colleagues, or families
Class Dates, Times and Locations
- Tuesday, September 11th, 2018 - 5:00 - 8:30 PM @ Davis, N1-052
- Thursday, September 13th, 2018 - 5:00 - 8:30 PM @ Davis, N1-051
- Tuesday, September 18th, 2018 - 5:00 - 8:30 PM @ Davis, N1-052
- Thursday, September 20th, 2018 - 5:00 - 8:30 PM @ Davis, N1-052
- Tuesday, September 25th, 2018 - 5:00 - 8:30 PM @ Davis, N1-052
- Thursday, September 27th, 2018 - 5:00 - 8:30 PM @ Davis, N1-051
- Tuesday, December 4th, 2018 - 5:00 - 8:00 PM @ Davis, N1-052
- Tuesday, February 5th, 2019 - 5:00 - 8:00 PM @ Davis, N1-052
- Tuesday, May 7th, 2019 - 5:00 - 8:00 PM @ Davis, N1-052
Register for the training on eCompass. Search course #92423 and section #112428.
- Led by: Nancy Hellander Pung
- Supported by: Abbie Finger