This class will walk you through each of the components necessary to help insure success for students in your classroom: Rituals and Routines, Assessment, Independent Reading/Writing and Conferring, Reading/Writing Mini Lessons, Backwards Planning and Scaffolding the Core, Small Group instruction, and Word Work/Vocabulary. You will have the opportunity to learn about best practices for each component, and then put them into practice in your classroom. This course will also give opportunities to integrate literacy across the content areas, incorporate Social Emotional Learning, create culturally relevant instruction, and to differentiate and scaffold for your students.
PLEASE BRING: A three ring binder for course materials. This course will utilize best practices from research around comprehensive and responsive, balanced literacy and resources from Benchmark Advance/Adelante.
- Gain a better understanding of the core components of balanced literacy
- Implement the core components and give and receive feedback and support
- Learn about the following structures that support the balanced literacy block:
- Rituals and routines
- Integrating literacy across content areas
- Incorporating Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
- Creating culturally relevant instruction
- Differentiation and scaffolding
- Academic Conversations
Class Dates, Times and Locations
- Thursday, August 16th, 2018 - 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM @ Davis, L3-319
- Thursday, August 30th, 2018 - 4:30 - 7:30 PM @ Davis, N1-052
- Thursday, September 13th, 2018 - 4:30 - 7:30 PM @ Davis, N1-052
- Thursday, September 27th, 2018 - 4:30 - 7:30 PM @ Davis, N1-052
- Thursday, October 11th, 2018 - 4:30 - 7:30 PM @ Davis, N1-052
- Thursday, October 25th, 2018 - 4:30 - 7:30 PM @ Davis, N1-052
- Thursday, November 8th, 2018 - 4:30 - 7:30 PM @ Davis, N1-052
- Thursday, November 29th, 2018 - 4:30 - 7:30 PM @ Davis, N1-052
Register for the training on eCompass. Search course #92423 and section #112427.
- Alice Kos, District Program Facilitator, Elementary Literacy
- Kristi Bostad, District Program Facilitator, Elementary Literacy