Through a collaborative classroom structure, The Art of Instruction creates an interactive learning environment to explore interdisciplinary artful instruction strategies for differentiation, classroom engagement, management, and learning. Upstream Arts and MPS Special Education will guide you through best practices in the field of the Teaching Artist, the tenets of Universal Design for Learning (UDL), and the world of Assistive Technology. Because artistic practices inherently offer multiple ways to express ideas, Upstream Arts has found that pairing teaching artist practices with UDL principles creates a rich community of learners in the classroom and promotes a dynamic, truly accessible learning environment. The Art of Instruction offers an academic, experiential, and practical immersion into the art of engaging students of all abilities, including students with disabilities, and an exploration of infusing interdisciplinary arts-based concepts to enhance your classroom and individual student instruction.
Participants will be able to:
- Explore artful instruction strategies for classroom engagement, management and learning.
- Engage students of all abilities, including students with disabilities.
- Infuse arts-based concepts to enhance my classroom and individual student instruction.
Regular Education and Special Education teachers, Speech Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists and other educational support staff that work directly with students.
Class Dates, Times and Locations
- Wednesday, August 8th, 2018 - 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM @ Davis Center N1-052
- Thursday, August 9th, 2018 - 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM @ Davis Center L3-319
- Wednesday, August 15th, 2018 - 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM @ Davis Center N1-052
- Thursday, August 16th, 2018 - 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM @ Davis Center N1-052
- September (date TBD) 2018 - 5:00 - 8:00 PM @ Upstream Arts
- October (date TBD) 2018 - 5:00 - 8:00 PM @ Upstream Arts
- November(date TBD) 2018 - 5:00 - 8:00 PM @ Upstream Arts
Register for the training on eCompass. Search course #92423 and section #112403.
- Julie Guidry, Upstream Arts Executive Director
- Matt Guidry, Upstream Arts Artistic Director
- Rochelle Cox, Executive Director of Special Education
- Joelle Bender, Speech Language Pathologist